Day 20 Some pipping going on and I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nstamper2000, Apr 19, 2009.

1. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    I have an LG bator. This is my second time around and everyone is still alive right now. My first hatch failed. I can't remember if I am supposed to take out the red plugs or not and I really don't know what I am looking for. One baby is pipping towards the middle of the egg and I can hear it chirping. I need some help. What should I look for and what are signs of distress?

2. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    If the chick is pipping in the middle of the egg that is great. Just hang in there everything should be fine. You are doing great. Cj

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    take out the plugs, read all of the articles at the top of this forum on hatching; they will give you guidelines--& good luck!

4. nstamper2000

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Thanks guys This is sooo hard. I can't keep away from them. They are my babies. [​IMG]

5. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    How are they doing?

I am waiting also... so hard!!

I am at 20 days 14 hrs.. and only one has pipped!!

heck with patience!!! I want babies!!!
    [​IMG]

6. nstamper2000

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Ok i have one out and he is ok but I am not sure what they really supposed to be like. I left it in the bator all night. I had another one hatch, but it died. I think its brain swelled. I have been giving the other one electrolytes to get his/her energy up. I have about 6 more that have just broke thru the shell. I really don't know how long this process is supposed to take. I am going crazy.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Yeah!!

my babies are pretty much out!! Looks like one will probably not hatch but everybody else is doing fine.

How are your babies doing?

It can take up to 36 hrs from the 1st pip to being done from my experience.

Seems like I usually have one or two early ones...then most hatch in a 6 - 12 hr window.... then a late one or two.

... but it is a HARD 12 - 36 hrs.... on me!!![​IMG]

8. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Stamper...
    how are your babies doing?

9. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I thought the plugs stayed in until the chicks hatched - this will allow more air in to help them dry off. Won't removing the plugs let humidity and warmth out??

10. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I thought 1 plug was suppose to be out and after some about of time take the 2nd one out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by