Day 20; two hatched 4 pips *New Pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hangin'witthepeeps, May 19, 2009.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I made Miss Prissy's bator, bought 12+ SLW eggs from a fellow BYC member and received 16. On day 19, had one hatch last night at 10:30 PM. It was wonderful, beautiful chick, but I believe its a Light Brahma Bantam. They sent extras, so it's a possibility. I will post pictures tomorrow to see what ya'll think. Another one pipped at around 7 last night and had partially zipped at 2:30 this morning. When I got up at 6 AM it had not progressed. I puzzled about this then noticed the humidity at 55% and went in for a closer look, sure enough it was stuck to the membrane. I remembered reading a thread about moistening the membrane so the chick can get out. So I took one of my strips of sponge with warm water and moistened it up and it POPPED out, another Light Brahma Bantam. I am very excited and happy to have more chicks but I hope I at least get one SLW. BTW out of 16, 1 I cracked unwrapping (was fertile), 4 at day 10 didn't develop. 1 was scrambled and two were fertile but didn't develop and one had a blood ring. I had a quitter at day 10 or 12 (tiny egg). There were four pips when I left for work this morning and my husband is going home at lunch to check on them and add water to the sponge. I finally got my humidity up to 70%.

Thanks, Melissa

Here are the pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know what some of the yellowish chicks are and there is a brown one with stripes? One egg seen here did make it, the other did not. I believe it was a double yolk (larger egg) and it had pipped and was chirping at me, when I checked again later it had yolk coming out of the shell and wasn't moving. I was really upset. The other 9 are doing well and in the brooder. It took forever for them to dry, I left them in until all hatched and dried.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    [​IMG]
    You have babies and from an incubator you made. That is so cool. Can't wait for pics.

Nancy

3. ChickenPickenMamma

ChickenPickenMamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Hudson, FL
    isn't it super exciting to watch them hatch. I am on day 20 with my americaunas and i have 1 chick so far and 3 more piped eggs. so question, how long does it take the chicks to dry and get fluffy? this is my first hatch so i am just going with the flow but i am totally glued to the incubator. [​IMG]

4. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I left mine in for a full 24 hours after they hatched to make sure they were really dry. Also I took the older ones out and left the others in to have a little more peace and dry time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by