DAY 20!!! What should temp&humidity be???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickLuver, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Its day 20 in my LG still air. I have 3 pipps. 2 bantys and one??? [​IMG] I had to open to wet sponges. My temp is about 99 and my humidity is around 80ish give or take. Is this ok? [​IMG] This is my first hatch. One pipped last night and is still in there. Is that normal? [​IMG] PLEASE HELP. I'm soooo nervous!!! [​IMG]

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    try to keep it at 60% if you just add water this moment wait it will go down. always add warm water

3. ChickLuver

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I added water like 2 hours ago....

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd try to get the humidity down alittle. I keep my levels around 60 to 70% range for a circulated air Hova. Open the lid for a minute or so to get the humidity down if you have no pips going on.

Your temp is alittle low but don't mess with it now since your on day 20, you might have a late hatch with low temps so Patience!!

5. ChickLuver

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Patience is not something I have right now. I'm worried

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Is this your first hatch? Why not go for a walk or go shopping for a few hours [​IMG]

I keep the temp at 98-100, 70-80% humidity on day 18-21...it' swill be fine. It's hard to maintain humidity b/c as the chicks hatch, the humidity with naturally go up as well (the wetness in the eggs make it increase)
    Try to stick to this guide and all will be well!! If you have candled along the way and know they are good, you'll have a good hatch.
    DO NOT TOUCH THE BATOR
    Hugs and good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Christina

7. ChickLuver

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Yes its my first hatch and I am sitting here with baited breath. I feel like i'm having kids or something!!! I'm just worried cause the 1st one to pip did LAST NIGHT! And is still in there! It's a banty. One 3 have pipped out of 26. I did candle and these ones were all good. Except maybe 2-3 of the cukoo marans. They were real hard to tell.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your humidity is fine then if they are pipping!! Humidity goes up from the egg when the chicks start to hatching. It can take 24 hours or longer from them pipping to zipping out of the shells.

It really is best to have Patience at this stage and do not open the bator. Read a book, cook or find a good movie on TV!!! lol Sit on those hands!!!

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You are doing fine. Let the humidity fall a bit.

Like I told you in your PM you are DOING FINE. You're
    just experiencing hatching anxiety. [​IMG] It's totally normal.

The fact you have pips says some of the eggs have made the
    winter trip from Cali to NY. That's huge.

A watched egg never hatches. [​IMG]

10. ChickLuver

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Thanks PurpleChicken!!! I know I am a nervous mommy. This is crazy. I'm like a basket case over here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by