1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 20

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by LyonFuzz, Apr 20, 2017.

1. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    My pigeon pair have been sitting for 19-20 days and I'm starting to lose hope. I know the single egg was laid on April 1st. Should I be worried?

2. Pigeonbeast

Pigeonbeast Just Hatched

Apr 15, 2017

Hello LyonFuzz, do you know if the eggs are fertilzed? If you haven't already, candle the eggs & you will be able to see the chick(c) inside the egg. Here's a link on candling eggs:

3. Pigeonbeast

Pigeonbeast Just Hatched

Apr 15, 2017

Hello LyonFuzz, do you know if the eggs are fertilzed? If you haven't already, candle the eggs & you will be able to see the chick(c) inside the egg. Here's a link on candling eggs:

1 person likes this.
  4. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Thank you for your response. This is our first experience with this as these pigeons were found on the freeway and we rescued them. We have seen them "kissing" and clearly "getting it on" ;) So I am assuming it's fertile. They are doing everything a male and female should be doing from what I've read about their behaviours on this forum. Taking turns on the nest, him dancing for her, etc. Is it out of the ordinary for the egg to incubate more than 19 days?

5. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    They want to kick my axx if I even think about messing with that nest/egg. I will try tonite when everything is dark and quiet :)

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    That's encouraging[​IMG] I'll continue to let them sit then. I'm afraid to upset them by taking the egg.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You will get a few wing slaps if you pick up and egg (only take one at a time if you decide). If you candle the inside should appear very dark with an air space. In a perfect world there may be a small crack in the shell with the pigeon making it's way out. It usually takes about 36 hours for them to free themselves.

9. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I took your advice......both birds were off the nest this morning so I candled the egg. Nothing[​IMG]. Hopefully the spring weather will inspire some romance. Thank you all[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Well, my pigeon pair have laid 2 eggs this time around. I've seen the hanky panky between them and I'm hoping it's fertile this time.

1 person likes this.
  11. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Fingers crossed you'll have some babies soon!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by