Day 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenhatcher89, May 16, 2008.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I am hatching out eggs for someone. 34 Red Comets. I have had one hatch yesterday and seems to be doing alright but 2 others pipped and almost got out and died before they hatched. None of the other eggs are doing a thing. I have kept the temperature and humidity pretty constant. What is making them die before they hatch?
    Rebecca

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    are you turning them 3x a day?

3. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I turned them 5 times a day sometimes 3 up until day 18.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know. Should you be turning them five times a day though? I have heard to turn them three. Maybe five is too many?
    I am new to this though so I may be wrong.[​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We need to know what kind of incubator you are using, what you keep your temps and humidity at for the 21 days...that might help figure out whats wrong, not positive but might....

Lots of things can go wrong with hatches...temps, humidity, not enough oxygen, too much opening the incubator...

6. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I have a Little Giant 9200 still air incubator. I had such a great hatch with the first Little Giant incubator so I went and bought another for the eggs I am hatching for the lady. I have kept the temperature pretty constant at 100 to 101 degrees and the humidity was at 50% for days 1 through 18 and is now at 70%. They just start to hatch and then die before they get out and now there is nothing going on, I just had the one hatch and its doing fine. Is there any chance some might still hatch?
    Any advice on what I did wrong or what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
    Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by