Day 21/22 - no pipping!

OpheliaM

Hatching
Apr 28, 2020
We are on what I think is Day 21 of a hatch of 6 shipped eggs - Rhode Island Reds. (They went in at 22.00 on 6th April after about 15 hours of sitting).

There have been signs of movement (small rolling movements) in two eggs but other than that nothing - no pips at all. I had to chuck 6 additional eggs quite early on for a mixture of reasons (e.g. yolker, blood ring etc). It's my first hatch so I'm not sure what to expect or what I'm looking for particularly. Temperature and humidity have been very consistent. 37.5 degrees (although sometimes the incubator would flit between 37.5-37.3) and 50% humidity for first 18 days, automatic turner. Then 65-70% since lockdown and I haven't opened the incubator.

They did come late in the post and I've read that this can mean a later hatch.

At what point do I accept defeat and candle?

Bear in mind posted eggs have a lower average hatch rate...
Eggs don't always hatch on the 21st day, they can take longer than that. A wobble or two is reassuring, but no movement doesn't mean the chick has gone; he/she may be resting.

Lower the temperature to about 98.5F (37C) 65-70% is fine.
i should candle at about day 25 or so (provided there are no pips); by that time they should have hatched.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome

Bear in mind posted eggs have a lower average hatch rate...
Eggs don't always hatch on the 21st day, they can take longer than that.

Lower the temperature to about 98.5F (37C) 65-70% is fine.
i should candle at about day 25 or so; by that time they should have hatched.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome

Thank you, that's really helpful! Do you lower the temperature because the internal egg temperature is going up?

What happened? I’m in a similar situation end of day 21 looming and no visible pips. How did things turn out?

Back
Top Bottom