Day 21 a few questions UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantymama, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Day 21 started early this morning. I have no pips yet. I had 2 hydrometers in the bator the digital reads 70 and the other 90. I had a 3rd one and i calibrated it with a baggie and salt and it was off by 2%. So i put that one in the bator and it is at 68 and the digital is at 70. I did this yesterday. There is a little moisture on the window is this a good or bad thing. Maybe the one i took out was more accurite. If the humidity is off and too high at this point what are the chances of any hatching. Temp is 99.5 and holding.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say if there's moisture building on the window you're humidity is probably too high. I have it get a little moisture on the window sometimes when they're hatching, but I've never had it before they start.

3. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I'd say vent a little. Not a lot. I think at this point when they are actually due to hatch being high is not as critical as during development. But when they start hatching and are out in order to dry off it needs to be down some.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Only time I had moisture build up was first time I ever tried hatching and adjusted my air flow vent... ...do you have air vents or plugs and are they open or suppose to be opened?...

5. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I opened one vent and the the humidity dropped to 62%.

6. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    One has hatched from one of my eggs and one has pipped. And i have 1 silkie that has pipped and another silkie rocking. Nothing on the other 4 eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed i get one silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by