Day 21 and 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    There's nothing going on in my incubator. When I candled on day 18 before lock down, 7 looked really promising. The other 5 not so much, but I kept them anyways because I could still see veins and thought maybe... Here it is day 21 of the one batch and day 22 for the other and I'm getting very concerned. Is it really possible to lose 56 eggs? I mean, yeah, we had some issues including power outages causing the temps to go down to 77 and temps spiked to 104. I had to open the incubator on day 19 to add more containers of water to get the humidity up to 65%. But on day 18, I know I had at least 7 good eggs. Unless they were just rotten and that dark... I dunno. I've heard of decent hatches even after a load of incubator issues, so I was hoping for at least an egg or two to hatch. I just know I am a bit upset. Seriously... 56 eggs?

[​IMG]

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I am really sorry to hear that [​IMG]. I just hatched seven out of twelve eggs on sunday, even after some temperature fluctuation. It is always better for the uneasy temp goes down instead of up. The ideal temp for chicks is 99 degrees, but if it goes down to 80 they are probably still good, any lower, Im not so sure. But if the temp goes over 102, then the eggs start cookin and die, so that was probably it. I have read a post on BYC, where a guy had a pile of eggs he was going to throw away but never really got to it, the day he rememberd to throw them away, he heard some pips! The pile of eggs was laying outside through day and night, hope you get that lucky! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I read that at 105 the proteins start to break down, so below that is okay. I'd check my temps nearly hourly and when I'd catch them at 104, I'd open the incubator windows to air it and turn the temp down. This whole month has been horrid with the near 100 degree days and lately it's been in the 60's at night. My house may be closed up, but the temps still vary drastically. I candled 4x to make sure I wasn't incubating dead chicks. I even opened one that I thought was dead/rotten and it turns out it was a nicely forming lavender bantam Cochin. I was sick afterwards because I think I killed it. That was after both the 77 and 104 degree spikes.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Thats true, these days have been pretty hot, I dont even have to turn on the heat lamp for my chicks. And as long as you did not open it up althe way, that chick should be alive, but if you did, put him back in the egg the eggshell and let him "hatch". This happened to me yesterday, when a chick had been piping for almost two days but never hatched, I hatched him completely out because I thought he was dead, and wanted to see him, then he started chirping and kicking about, I put him back in his shell and closed him up,I put some eggs around him to be as a wall so it wouldnt be all that easy to hatch out. A few minuits later he was out and about but had that thing hanging out of his belly button his belly button, so I thought he wasnt gonna make it. I just left him in the incubator and didnt touch the thin on his navel, and now he is doing great with al the other chicks inside the brooder( if any of yours hatch with stuff hanging out their navel. dont mess with it, eventually it comes off) Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Oh, I opened that one on day 11 - no way to save that one. I just don't understand why these guys are hatching at all. I am going to give them till Friday, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting anything out of this hatch.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Creating life is an amazing and complete procedure! THe large swings from 77 to 106 apparently is hard on eggs. I do hope you get some to hatch. [​IMG]

My LG has been fluctuating a lot with the recent weather. I've had a lot of short nights as I check on that LG and the temps. Next time, a water wiggler!!

GOOD LUCK!

7. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I just opened the incubator and candled. I still see veins in the small pace at the pointy end. The one looks there's a chick in the right position. I'm hoping for at least one chick!
    [​IMG]

8. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Patience, Grasshoppa!

Lower temps can extend the time it will take to hatch.

For example: Quail should hatch on day 16 - Mine hatched on day 18 due to temps in the stryofoam bator being low (92-96) a couple of days.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    My LG even with a fan has fluctuated from 96-103.8 depending of time of day. It's in a storage type room that is not entered regularly and the AC vent is blocked. I hate the LG compared to the Hovabtor.

10. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

My favorite thing to hatch in is my LG Still Air. It works great for me for small clutches.

I like it almost as much as I like my huge 500 egg incubator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by