day 21 and concerned

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HumanChirpyMama, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HumanChirpyMama

HumanChirpyMama In the Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    So I am a first time hatcher and I'm getting worried. My 12 eggs are in lockdown and, when candled on day 17, they all were moving and very much alive. I haven't touched them since then and have left the entire bator alone except to pipe in water. It's going on the night of day 21 and nothing has happened yet. Are all of my babies dead? :/ I don't dare open/mess with them yet.

2. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY
    Okay well after a lot of reading we decided to crack the incubator open and candle to see what was going on. It looks like they all died about day 17.
    Can't deny I'm not a lot disappointed, I put a lot of love into those egss, but I learned a lot. We've got more due to hatch on Monday, thankfully in a much better incubator. Here's to hoping next time it goes better. :(

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Songster

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I'm sorry. Hope you have lots of luck with your next hatch!!!

4. HumanChirpyMama

Nov 11, 2014
    bradford, NY

Thank you so much. I wasn't brave enough to crack any of them open, but I'll keep that option in mind for the future! I think it might have just been due a poorly made incubator. Hopefully the ones due tomorrow will fare better in the good incubator.

5. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chirping

Nov 9, 2014
    Sorry to read your story - we had a similar bad run with our first batch, although we did end up with 4 babies but not until day 24/25.
    Good luck with your next go! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by