day 21 and i dont see or hear anything.:((

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nok13, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    [​IMG]

somehow i dont think , with all the variations on parameters and checking and too many different ages of eggs , that anything will come of this group... there are still the 'newer'
    eggs that hubby dearest in his infinite impatience stuck in there, that we have to roll, so we divided the sides of theincubator up and i sort of wedge my hand in to roll them i one fell swoop, w/o moving or touching the others, humitidy is good, finally got stable temperature in there of 37 celsius which is a wee bit low but i will have to try to work on that after this group goes out.

so will , most likely, buy or borrow quail eggs and maybe buy some rhode island red eggs that someone is selling here for 15 shekels a piece , not too pricey, and worse ocmes to worse they dont work or they hatch as roosters and we will dine on them (counting eggs again :) )
    kind of bummed, i feel like a failure...(like, duh, i should have set up everything first, organized, etc. thats what i taught my kids, but obviously i dont follow my own procedures) but,well,
    i will attempt to phote eggtopsy when and if i do them... blech....[​IMG]

i will wait a few more days due to the low temperature problems we had and also nto knowing the exact age and date of any of the eggs (they could be bad eggs from the very beginning, who knows)... in mean while, hens are brooding, so we will see who wins...

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If your temperature was a bit on the low side they could hatch a day or 2 late. Don't give up yet. Ideal temp is 37.7*C and only a little under that can delay hatch by 24 hours. Hope you have a few chicks hatch!

3. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    but shouldnt i be seeing or hearing some kind of signs? like movement or cheeping? its just a bunch of eggs laying there, looking at me...

i probably should have spent more and bought a totally automatic decent brand thru the net rather then thru all these chicken people here (in israel). its a small country and everyone knows everyone , in the chicken forum/world, and they all claim almost 100% success, plus or minus some... so maybe i will have to visit someoen and see the incu. in action.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Most of my hatching eggs were quiet until they started pipping. And you know the fisherman talks? The fish was this big! Hatching rates are seldom 100%. They're not going to tell you about their failures are they? [​IMG] Give your eggs a bit more time. I've even had eggs under broody hens hatch late. If they haven't hatched by day 25-26 I'll say it's a dud.

5. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    oh im sure your right about the 'fisherman talk' thing. its just annoying. here , we are like a small town, only the entire coutnry is like that. everyone knows everyone who is involved in something specific. like all the goat /cheese people know eachother , so all the chicken people know eachother, so there is less anonymity if u are unreliable / and all the poeople were carrying the same brand also... so im sure its just a matter of learning teh machine,
    the other annoying thing is that i remember several years ago, we had snakes , cant remember which species, who mated and layed eggs, and someone stuck the eggs in a box in a closet. some time later, lo and behold, baby snakes, w/o the incubator, humidity, heat or anything else that we used to pay so much attention to. thats why i find it particularly annoying about myself. so many years i let someone else be in charge of chickens and i stuck with the mammals (goats etc) and they made it seem so easy,
    so now i have pet chickens and not one chick... well not yet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by