day 21 and nothing, how can i tell if they broke the membrain

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    For the first time I had a problem with my temps and humidity. I woke up at 3:00 am and found my temp at 102 and my humidity at 62. That never happened before. I had the temps and humidity perfect at 99.5 and humidity at 70% at the beginning of the hatch it was always safe as well. I hear no cherping or no pipping. How can I tell if they atleast broke the membrane in the shell? Tomorrow a biology teacher said that he would help me make a window in the shell to see what's going on. I told him that you all would tell me to leave them alone, He said that they could drown in the shell, or dry up in the shell.
    I have a stethoscope and I put it up to the bater and could hear only the fan. So I unplugged it for a minute and still heard nothing,

2. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    OK exactly where in day 21 are you? Begginning. end. middle? I would say just leave them alone for now. The babies are also making their own body heat which can cause a little raise in temp. If your at the end of day 21 and you just HAVE to know whats going on....hurry up take one out and candle it. You should be able to see if it has pipped through to the air cell. For now I would leave them alone.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    You should not have unplugged you incubator. If you put them in on the 11th, which I believe you said in another post, they are due to hatch tomorrow. You are doing more harm than good by opening your incubator and handling them trying to see what's going on. You should not open or move you incubator for the last three days. Stop opening your incubator, and DO NOT open those eggs. "Windows" are for observation, but do not lead to properly hatched healthy chicks.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's up to you but I say have patience...did you candle on day 18?

I agree........

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I put them in Jan11 at 11:15 am. I never opened the bater. I just unplugged for a quick few secs. and plugged it back in. I put the stethoscope against the vent hole. So today is the beginning of day 21.

6. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I candled on day 18 and could see veins and on one of the eggs the chick was taking up all of the eggs except for the air pocket.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just be patient, I know I say that alot but we have been in your shoes on our first hatchings and it takes time for them to pip and atleast 24 hours at times to get out of their shells....

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sit on your hands. Have Patience. Then sit on your hands some more. This is the HARD part.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:You are counting wrong. Tomorrow is the beginning of day 21. Unplugging your incubator can cause temp swings as it re-regualtes itself. That's why you don't want to unplug it. I know it can be hard to wait, but just leave it alone and fluffy butts will pop out.

10. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    Well that is what I got. temp swings. I thought that the day that I put them in the bater was counted as day 1, if they were put in the bater before noon.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by