Day 21...and nothing! (UPDATE! PICS ADDED!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kristenm1975, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Cochin sitting on mixed eggs, barred rock and andalusian. We're at that magic hatching day and nothing's happening under there! She's one of those broodies that you do not mess with if you want all of your fingers so I haven't picked her up to look under.

Is it normal for eggs to hatch later than 21 days?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I am new at this but from what I have read yes it can take longer depending on all kinds of factors, shipped eggs etc. I am sure some of the people who really know will help answer your question. [​IMG]

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This morning, I found the teeniest, tiniest little black chick with a white dot on its head and a few light colored speckles on the front of its body. It was sticking out just far enough from under my big fluffy cochin so that I see it, and what a cutie!! It's a barred rock/blue andalusian cross and should be a full-sized bird but it looks bantam size to me. This is my very first hatch though, so it's possible I'm just used to picking up my chicks from the feed store when they're already a week old. The difference is incredible.

This hen is a genuine growling hen, so I wasn't able to get any pics just yet, but I will as the day progresses. She has 8 more eggs under her and I'm sure hoping they're all going to hatch out!

4. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    [​IMG] can't wait to see pictures! Come on chickies!

5. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I know how that is. I was checking my OEGB broody the other day and she bit me on the face and made me bleed. I think she was going for my eye! [​IMG]

6. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Ouch Racuda! I'll keep that in mind and stay back a bit. Don't want to lose an eye!

I finally was able to get some pictures of the newest little ones under momma hen. What sweeties! I think there are three at this point, but I can't be sure. One of them is the prettiest lavender with yellow undercoat. I have no idea what that's going to turn out to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Darling pic of the little blue one! Yes, Mama Hen looks like one of those you don't mess with, I have one like that too. Congrats on the new arrivals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: