Day 21 and nothing :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goatkeepers, Jun 23, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, I was afraid this was gonna happen. It's day 21 and there's no sign of life from my three incubator eggs. The temp has been around 95 degrees and the humidity is around 60-65%. I really figured at least one would hatch. [​IMG] When I candled them on day 18, there was one that looked ready (size wise) and the other two looked a bit small, in my opinion. But like I said, the one really looked ready. I guess I will wait until this afternoon and then take them out and candle them, to make sure they are dead. [​IMG] I was really hoping this would work out. But the temps were crazy in the beginning.
    Anyways, I just wanted to vent a little. [​IMG] Thanks for listening.

2. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    If it's only Day 21 and your temps were only 95 don't open that incubator just yet! I think 95 degrees is low and they may hatch a couple days late. I would wait until at least Day 23 to take them out and candle them to check. Give them more time.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks. I am not quite awake yet. I meant to write 99 *lol* I guess they go anywhere from 95-100 right now, really.
    Thank you for responding so quickly. [​IMG] I just really am disappointed because I wanted at least one to hatch so badly. It's hard when you see them swimming around on day 18 and now I don't know if they are still alive or not.
    So you think I can candle them this afternoon or should I not?

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If it is only day 21, why would you take them out today and quit on them????? I've had, and seen other people have, hatches on day 25!!!!!!! You are not watching your thermometer 24/7 so you cannot be sure it has remained at 99 degrees every second. Sounds like your temps have gotten too low and delayed your hatch. You say there is no sign of life, is that because you opened up the bator on day 21 to candle!!!! I sure hope not, that would be a big mistake. If your using a still air, I keep the temps at 101. So running at 99 would definately delay hatch. Keep them in, keep the faith, do not open at all! Good luck.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sometimes they can hatch late, especially if the temp. doesn't stay at a steady 99* or 100*, mine stays at 100* or 101*. Try and get your humidity closer to 70% if you can by adding a little more water or quickly slipping a wet, small sponge into the bator. I'm sure your eggs are just fine! Sit on your hands and no opening the bator! Every time you do, the temperature and humidity change and you will just slow things down. My rule of thumb hear is after my eggs come out of the turner and go into the egg cartons on day 18, the bator stays shut until the hatch is done unless you need to bump the humidity a bit! Be patient and remember, DON'T OPEN YOUR BATOR! Report back later to let us know how things are going. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks for lifting my spirits!! [​IMG]
    Chickenlady, I have not opened the bator since day 18 and I was just saying that it's hard not knowing if they are still alive. I haven't checked to see if they are.

Gumpsgirl, thanks so much for your nice words [​IMG] I really needed that. I will bump the humidity up some. I am using a styrofoam bator and I made a hole with a straw in it, that way it's easy to syringe more water into it. I will do that right now. [​IMG] Thanks!!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Your welcome! Just sit tight! My Blue Orps. didn't start pipping until late day 21 (MissPrissy told me that's how hers do also) and didn't finish hatching until late afternoon on day 22 while my Delawares started pipping and hatching early day 21. Some breeds just hatch differently. Hang in there! It can be nerve wracking, but so worth it in the end! [​IMG] Now sit and relax! Today is day 21!!! [​IMG]

Sending some good hatching dust your way! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I use a still air at keep it at 101-102 and my cochins still pip on day 22 and hatch on day 23. I agree that it differs depending on the breed. My modern game usually hatches on day 20 and 21 and as early as day 19. Try to hang in there till at least day 25. Good luck.

9. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Y'all are the best! [​IMG]

10. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    We've all been there....Day 21 staring at the incubator waiting for something to happen.

Glad to help. [​IMG]

Let us know when those babies start hatching! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by