Day 21 and very loud chirping!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlemissstang, Mar 11, 2013.

1. littlemissstang

littlemissstang Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Ok, we are at day 21 with 17 eggs in the little giant still air incubator. We have three rocking back and forth and another one that has cracked. We are hearing very loud chirping! It has been chirping since about 5 or 6 am this morning. I don't want to be a worry wart or do something stupid by messing with the eggs. So, is this normal? And when should I worry? I read the article by Miss Sunshine, but being new to this and not wanting to sound too stupid, I wasn't sure. Thanks for all your info and help!

2. littlemissstang

Sep 16, 2012
    Another question, also. What temp should my brooder be? I have a hugh see through tote that I got from Wal-Mart with a heat lamp and red bulbs that I got from TSC. But, I set the lamp up and put my incubator thermoter under it and the temp shot up to 120 really quick. I changed the bulb out with a 100w household bulb and am waiting to see what temp it holds. Thanks for any replys!

3. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    It should be around 95-98. Most of the time I just put the lamp about 18" from the bedding (250W heat lamp). Just watch the chicks, if they huddle under it (or are chirping loudly) they are cold. If they won't get under it they are to hot. They should be spread out nicely under the lamp. Good luck!

4. littlemissstang

Sep 16, 2012
    Thank you, Icammack! I really appericate the reply! I was beginning to think no one would give me any kind of response. lol!

5. littlemissstang

Sep 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here's our two new additions! I love it! They are sooo cute! I so wish they were as fuzzy as some of the others. :) I've got two more that are breaking out. Can't wait to see them!

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    make sure those arent cedar chips in the brooder

7. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Congrats on the new little fuzzy's. I am glad I could help.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congratulations on your new feathered friends!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by