1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 21 but no hatching yet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter11, May 16, 2011.

1. skeeter11

skeeter11 New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I have 17 eggs in my incubator- 2 I am pretty sure are not fertilized- when I candeled I didn't see anything, but the lady from the hatchery said to keep them in since this is my first time.

I have turned, kept my temp, humidity, etc. Today is day 21 and nothing-- sometimes I think I see some of the eggs moving, but nothing yet. What should I do? Wait? The humidity was getting low ( I have kept it totally closed for the past 3 days) so I did open it and add some warm water, and the humidity went back up. when we candeled at day 8 and 11 we could see the embryos clearly in most of the eggs ( some are brown) and air pockets in all but the 2 I mentioned. The rest of the eggs looked like something was going on- they weren't clear- it just seemed that as we turned the egg, the dark area moved away from us, or the brown shells were too hard to see through. But there were at least 7 eggs that I could clearly see the embryo and 3 brown ones ( that's 10) plus the 2 that I think are no good (12)- which left us with 5 unknowns.

Thoughts?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It can take up to 26 to 28 for them to hatch if the temp was low during incubation. I would wait it out and see what happens. Just remember that if any start to ooze you need to get them out of there fast.

3. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Oh and [​IMG]

4. skeeter11

skeeter11 New Egg

May 16, 2011
    OK, thanks- I will try not to worry. It's weird how maternal I feel for them already! Should I take the 2 out that I have thought from the beginning were not fertilized?

5. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I wouldn't suggest opening the bator right now. But if you know they're clear an you can do it without a huge shift in humidity, you could go ahead and take them out.

6. skeeter11

skeeter11 New Egg

May 16, 2011
    UPDATE: 1 chick hatched this am and appears to be doing fine. a second egg has major cracks, but the membrane is still intact and not much has happened in several hours. I can't see much else. The top of my incubator is plastic and it gives a kind of warped view. My humidity is low.

QUESTIONS

1. Can I open the incubator to add water?
    2. Should I/can I do anything about the egg with the cracks? I have seen UTube video of people holding eggs for chicks to peck open
    3. At what point do I decide that the other eggs are no good?- there are children observing the hatch, so I don't want them to see anything nasty if they don't have to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by