Day 21 for my Aracaunas - we have a Chick! added PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Corey NC, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Day 18

Alright guys we should be having some chicks soon. I candled and I saw definent movement out of 5 of the 7 eggs, two were peeping and one is rolling and I think it has internally pipped. Hopefully by morning we'll have a chick.

[​IMG]

Day 19

5:43 -

I have a nice sized pip from the one that I mentioned yesterday as internally pipped. Humidity is at 70% and temps are 99.7. I'll updated you as we go along.

7:25 -

The pip is getting a bit bigger. humidity dropped down to 60% I added water and now I'm waiting for it to rise. Temps are fine.

Day 20

7:24 -

I have a chick! It is still a little goopy so I can't tell the color but it looks buffish. It still has some of the yoke attached to the bum, what should I do about this? Yoke seems to partially all over his back, some I assume is in him, and the rest has glued the egg shell to his bum. So he is waliking around with it still attached and is looking really silly.

Pics Soon to come!

8:43

I decided that I needed to remove the yoke so I pulled out the chick and ran the dried yoke (which was as hard a a rock btw) under warm water and a little soap and romoved the yoke and any membrane that was stuck to the chick.

While it was out I went ahead and took some pics of it (please excuse the crappiness, chick wouldn't sit still) -

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9:48 -

We have another pip!

7:30 -

Pip hasn't done much. I'll give it over night and see how it's doing and if needed I'll help it out some. chick #1 is nearly fully fluffed out. It has a dark buff body with a dark black "blanket" on it's back.

Day 21

12:15AM -

ugg I really should be in bed.....but chick #2 is a little more than 1/2 way zipped so it should be popping out soon and since I am already awake I think I might wait for it. I'll give it til 1 before I head to bed. [​IMG] I really should be sleeping I have to be at work by 7 tommorrow and I'll be working til 5.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    woo hoo, way to go!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with your hatch Corey. [​IMG]

Jody

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Good luck! Can't wait to see pictures of them when they hatch! [​IMG]

5. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's some chicky vibes for you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    updated top post.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

See? If you'd had this bator when you had my eggs, you'd have lots of my babies now. [​IMG] Glad it's working for you!

8. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    shhhh you might jinx it lol [​IMG]

So if all of these hatch and all the eggs that I candled at day 10 were infertile not dead would this be considered a 100% hatch?

[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you take infertiles out of the equation and every one hatches that was fertile in the first place, yes, you have a 100% hatch. If you count infertiles in the rate, then you have the fertility rate, not the hatch rate.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

How exciting! Hope it hatches for you soon! I have araucana eggs in the bator too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by