Day 21 Hatching Question & Guidance

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goodguytx, May 25, 2010.

1. goodguytx

goodguytx Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    Time to ask a question of all you chicken gurus out there. I'm on Day 21 for my eggs set in a LG still air foam bator. Set 26 eggs. Took 2 out that were clear on day 14. I have a dozen Marans that I can't candle, so I've let them be. My temps have been about 101-102 at the top of the eggs, and 99.5 or so in the water wiggler. I've added very little water and kept at least one plug out and have kept a wet bulb reading of around 87 the whole time. Out of the turner and locked down on day 18, and raised humidity to about 70%-73%.

I have 5 chicks happily hatched so far. I have 2 that pipped yesterday. One zipped about 1/2 way 12 hours and has been stopped since then. The chick is sill breathing, but not as active as several hours ago. The other one zipped halfway and stopped 6 hours ago. The chick is moving and still peeping, but not making any progress. I know chicks can take a while from pip to zip, but I can't figure out why these 2 stopped. Current humidty is running about 80% since the hatching began.

I've been watching and leaving things locked down, but thought I'd get some feedback from you guys. Should I let things be until the end of the hatch? Any thoughts on why they may have stopped? Intervene or let nature take it's course? I'm leaning toward letting nature take it's course since I don't want to upset the other eggs that have yet to hatch. I can see at least 3 more that have pipped.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. volchick

volchick Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I don't have any answers as I am hatching my first chickies as well, but I thought I'd give ya a bump...

3. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Some seem to just take longer to get out of their shells. I have had ducklings pip, zip and hatch all in about 6-12 hours and than I have had some take almost 3 full days..... I think you are doing fine [​IMG]

4. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    My first hatch I was adamant about following the guidelines of not opening that bator! I had one chick that pipped but didn't zip and it died by the time the hatch was over. My wife has never forgiven me for it. My last hatch, I had one that pipped and did a partial zip but didn't finish. After 24 hours from pip, I went in and removed the top of the shell and the chick was fine and finished hatching. But, it's up to you and what you are comfortable with...

john

5. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    I was going to be adamant about not opening the bator too, but I decided to trust my gut, and help the one who'd been half zipped the longest. I read the guideline posted here on the board on how to help the chick out of the shell. I followed the instructions, and was able to zip away the rest of the top without incident. The chick was peeping quietly while I worked. The top slipped off easily, leaving me with a big wet chick in the bottom half of the shell. Maybe the chick was too big for the egg. Maybe the humidity wasn't right. The chick was still tightly wound up, so I placed it back in the bator still in the bottom shell and decided to let it work out the rest on it's own time.

Luckily I had to go out. Just returned 3 hours later to find the chick was out of the shell and dry. In fact, I can't tell which one it is. I have 7 chicks lolling around the incubator. Just had another pop out as I returned.

The other chick is still only half zipped. I'll give it some more time and decide whether or not to help it also. Especially since it's one of the expensive Maran eggs I purchased.

I have a broody Cochin sitting on wooden eggs who will become the momma to these chicks tomorrow night. I had great luck last year with her adopting an incubated batch, and am hoping for the same luck!

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    [​IMG] Yeah keep us updated!!

7. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    Helped the other one out last night. It seems okay so far. This morning I had a chick trying to bust out of the shell. The shell was cracked everywhere, but the membrane was not opening up. I guess that's what shrink wrap means. Luckily it was right under the vent plug. I took a chopstick and tied a q-tip to it. Working through the plug hole, I moistened the membrane with warm water. Once it was moist enough, that chick busted loose. One happy chick.

My humidity is way up inside the bator. I have condensation on the window. I'm guessing that maybe my humidity had been too low during the first 18 days?

11 chicks so far.

8. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    Day 23 and the dramas have ended. 11 happy healthy chicks. Just slipped them under my broody Cochin, Pearl. I got a good pecking, but she took those chicks right under her. She's sitting in her brood pen all fluffed up with all the chicks hidden out of sight. Tomorrow morning I should have a bright and chirpy bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by