DAY 21 HAVENT PIPPED AIR SAC??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    well still nothing but i did candle two and still not in air sac. i have avoided staring at them it only frustrates me. is this normal? sorry im freaking out you all have been great it means alot

2. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    bump. what makes them not pip through air sac? did they drown?

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well if it is day 21 and you pulled it out to candle you might of killed them im sorry to say but you have to keep the bator closed i lost alot of my chicks cuz i kept opening the bator. just wait some of my chicks didnt hatch till day 25 what is your temp and humidity at?

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They could be late but if they did fail to hatch then it is probably a moisture issue. They could drown if your humidity is really high. More likely the membrane dried out and then it gets too tough to break. If you have a small bator you should not open the incubator or remove eggs to candle from day 18 until they are done hatching. It can kill your entire hatch by drying out the membranes. In large incubators people can manage to candle the eggs without removing them or if you know it's really humid in your area that day you can get away with it. As a general rule it's best not to. I don't even open my bators to add water after day 18. If they need more water I add it through the vent holes with airline tubing (can be purchased with the fish tank supplies) and a syringe. A long straw can be used too.

For now I would make sure your humidity is high but not fogging over your incubator windows and leave them alone for another day or 2.

5. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    100 degrees and 65 percent humidity.

6. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    any update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by