Day 21 I have no idea!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaranDude, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    Okay so it's day 21 and I have no idea what I should be expecting! Someone help me im so paranoid! [​IMG]

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Did we candle eggs?

3. MaranDude

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    i candled them on day 14 and they were all good

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Learn to sit on your hands, and stay busy. It's HARD!

First you'll see a tiny "pip" which is a crack or small hole. You have to really look carefully sometimes to see them. I find looking at the eggs with a flashlight at an angle to the outside of the shell helps. So then you see your first one and get all excited, thinking you'll have a chick in an hour or something. But if your hatch goes like mine do, you can have a pip and then nothing for 28 hours! THAT is at 4 a.m., and that's when you go back to bed for a few hours....and awake to a few new fuzz-butts!

GOOD LUCK!

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    If you candled eggs on day 18 and had moving live chicks the chances are you will have fuzzy butts.

If you listen closely to the bator you will here chirps. Yes while in the egg thet will chirp. pretty good sign that you will have a pip soon. A pip is when the chick pips a little hole or even a little tiny crack in the egg. After pip it can take up to 24 hours to hatch. As soon as you get a pip you should make sure you have everything you need for your brooder.

They will be very wet and kind of staggering around the bator. They will probably play soccor with the other eggs if they are not hatching in a carton. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and I think the chirping and activity of a hatched chick helps the other ones start to hatch.
    It is soooo important that you do not open the bator untill all chicks are hatched and dry. They do not need food or water for up to 72 hours after hatch according to the hatcheries.

If you open the bator you will lose humidity and could be hurting the chances of the other eggs hatching. Many a chick has shrink wrapped in the shell due to low Humidity.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. P>S> They don't always hatch on day 21.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Today would be a good day to have errands that would get you out of the house a few times yet with time to come home and check once or twice, Alot of my chicks seem to hatch at ungodly hours , nothing like starting at a bator till midnight befor finnly going to sleep then getting woken up by desprately loud peeping and 3:00 in the morning.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Also, have you read the "Read Me's on Hatching" that is stickied (permanently posted) at the top of this topic? That is VERY helpful!

8. MaranDude

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    ya its about 9:44 on the 22nd day and nothings happend yet. Its so mind racking having to wait so long not knowing if they're all gonna die or something. I put a sheet of felt under the eggs for when they hatch, is that a good cloth? I also have a spongs with water and the humidity is at 84%. I candled one fo them on day 20 but would that affect them now? I'm so paranoid right now so any comments will help ease my mind.

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I don't let my humididty get that high. You need to get it down to 65 or 70 so your chicks don't drown. Pull sponge out for an hour and see what happens.

10. MaranDude

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    alright so its the end of day 22 and nothing has happend. I think i may have drowned my chicks cause its been between 75 and 85 percent humidity for about 2 days now. How long the humidity be high without them drowning to death?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by