1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Day 21, last one finally pipped, SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Apr 1, 2009.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Today is day 21 for my 6 bantam Columbian Cochin e g gs. The first chick hatched around 3am this morning, and the 4th just hatched around 4pm this afternoon. When the last chick hatched, my humidity spiked to 74%, so I quickly grabbed the 2 remaining e g gs and candled/tapped them. 1 of these e g g s is no good, but the other e g g holds a peeping chick. How long should I wait before I intervene?

Oh yeah...the humidity only dropped to 68% with me opening the bator, and the temp only dropped to 99 degrees.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    is the eg g pipped ? if so you should give it at least 24 hours after the pipp befor even thinking about helping.
    How doyou know the one is bad?
    I had a baby that hatched early early this morening after 1-2 days after the others

3. shelleyb1969

Quote:No, the egg is not pipped. The bad egg had no sounds coming from it and no movement when a candled it. I did put it back in the hatcher, though...just in case.
    Yours that hatched this morning...had it already pipped when the others were finished hatching?

I've never had this happen before, so I'm pretty worried. I can't stand the thought of this little chick dying in the egg without me trying to help it. I know, I know...it's nature. Guess I'm too soft hearted sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I ended up opening the top of it just a little when it had been pipped for about 30 hours it was still moveing so I left it alone after that , the chick is kinda puny I think there may have been a reason it took so long , Im hopeing it was in a cool spot in the bator and is just behind a bit.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  5. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Id give it at least 24 hours after the last one hatched before attempting to help.

6. shelleyb1969

Thanks Amy Sue! [​IMG] I know I'm supposed to wait that long if the chick has pipped but not hatched, but I wasn't sure if that is the general rule in this situation as well.

7. shelleyb1969

The egg finally pipped! Now I might get some sleep tonight. [​IMG]

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Go Chickie!!! [​IMG]

9. shelleyb1969

This hatch is officially complete! [​IMG] This "slow" chick hatched EARLY this morning and is doing wonderful. I put the egg in an egg carton to keep the other 4 from having soccer practice with it. So this chick hatched in the egg carton and was out of it and nice and dry when I found him this morning. [​IMG] Now on to my Delaware hatch on Saturday! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by