Day 21 May be dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BusyStFarmer, Feb 25, 2017.

1. BusyStFarmer

BusyStFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    Massachusetts
    So quick back story.
    I was planning on getting shipped and local eggs to try and hatch. I just got a new circulated air styro incubator so I wanted to test it out and make sure it was stabilized before I put the "expensive" eggs in. I get my eggs from this Mennonite family that has a honor system farm stand. I got a dozen and threw ten in the incubator just so I knew how to stabilize the temp with eggs in there. Mind you I had really no idea they were fertile. I knew there was a chance but no where on their cartons did it say. So I incubated them and then on day 7 to practice candling I did. I saw two little baby's! Boy was I surprised. On day 18 I went into lockdown. But I realized one kinda smelled off so I candled it and realized it was gone. So now I have a lone chick in there. It's day 21 now. Yesterday it was cheeping very faintly. Today nothing. I was afraid of the same fate as the last one so I candled. No movement. No noise. Should I presume little guy drowned? I already have 48 of my "expensive" eggs in another incubator but I grew attached to this one....go figure. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Ps I wasn't concerned about opening the incubator because it regain temp in humidity within 5 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Did you check all thermometers/hygrometer for accuracy and what are you running humidity at for the first 17 days?

If no movement, no noise I would not hold out hope.

3. BusyStFarmer

BusyStFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Little baby didn't make it. I did an eggtopsy and I believe she broke into a blood vessel. Its sad but now to focus on the new babes....

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sorry to hear that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by