Day 21 no pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yeziroo93, Mar 7, 2014.

1. yeziroo93

yeziroo93 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    Hey You guys this is my first time with chickens and my first hatch. I've been counting down the days and today was supposed to be the hatch date but nada what gives? My Chicken Lucy is hatching the eggs so natural no incubation if it helps they are Old English Game Fowl. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, that 21 day thing is theory. There are a lot of different things that can affect when an egg actually hatches, heredity, humidity, how and how long the egg is stored, average incubating temperature, and just basic differences in eggs. I’ve had eggs hatch two days early in an incubator and under a broody. I’ve had eggs hatch pretty much on time from the same flock in an incubator and under a broody. Some people have reported eggs being quite late under a broody. That 21 days is a target, not a firm set time.

Are you counting the days right? You’d be surprised how many people get that wrong. There’s even a calendar floating around this forum that has it wrong. An egg does not have a day’s worth of development 2 seconds or 2 hours after it goes in the incubator. It takes 24 hours of development for an egg to have a day’s worth of development. An easy way to check yourself is the day of the week you start them is the day of the week they should hatch, at least in theory. If you set them on a Friday, they should hatch on a Friday.

I don’t know what is going on with your eggs but don’t panic yet. Give them a couple of more days before you do anything drastic. There is still a reasonable amount of hope. Good luck!

3. yeziroo93

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    Thanks and she started sitting on valentines day so maybe i am off by a day I dont know its just i thought the set date was 21 I was hoping to see them before i had to leave for work this weekend
    but I shall wait until monday

4. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If she started Valentine's Day, the 21 days is up today. Sure wishing you success.

5. yeziroo93

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    [​IMG]I guess I will just have to wait it out and see thanks RidgeRunner[​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Any update?

7. yeziroo93

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    1 born sunday 2 born monday 1 born today i hatched one because the momma abandoned the nest when the chicks did but now he's under her asleep here are a couple of pictures [​IMG]

8. yeziroo93

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

9. yeziroo93

Dec 26, 2013
    fort worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's good news. Congratulations on the hatch.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by