Day 21 no signs of Piping or movement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frankdust, Apr 17, 2017.

1. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    Question: Incubated eggs at a constant temp of 99.5, 45% humidity and auto egg turner for first 18 days. Candled all the eggs before lock down and all look good. Lockdown incubator and raised humidity to 65%. At day 21 now and still no signs of movement or piping. I have 4 incubators going with 12 eggs in each one. 3 of the incubators I left eggs in turner straight up and down ( large end up) and stopped turning at day 18. Other incubator I turned eggs by hand 5 times a day. Problem I am having is why am I not seeing any piping or movement?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What date did you set the eggs? Are you using a still air or forced air incubator?

3. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    Forced air incubator. Today is exactly 21 days. I set eggs on March 27 so Day 1 was March 28

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Any chance your thermometer was off? Was it calibrated? Humidity also may have been high (my eggs do best at 30% humidity) and that could have caused late deaths.

5. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    Humidity never exceeded 45% in any of the 4 incubators for the first 18 day and yes, I moved around all 4 electronic humidity readers and recorded numbers and always came out within 1% no matter which incubator it was. I also use ST1000 for temp control

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    In that case all there is to do is wait. If you don't get any to hatch you can crack the eggs open after and we can try to determine what went wrong. But late quitting, if that's what happened, is most commonly caused by humidity issues.

7. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    I also accidently cracked one of the eggs when candling it on day 18 but at the time left it in incubator. I got worried about it exploding or contaminating other eggs so I removed it next morning. I broke it open and to my surprise, chick was alive but within a few minutes it dies so I know as of the evening of day 18 chicks were alive (at least 1 was). Also when candling I checked air cell on all eggs and all were good.

8. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    I won't give up until after day 25 but this is second time this has happened to me where I had no chicks hatch but when I crocked them open after day 25, 11 out of 12 eggs had fully developed chicks in them

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

when you cracked them open, was there a lot of liquid in there or was it very sticky?

10. frankdust

frankdust Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Indiana
    So can you explain to me what percent of humidity do u maintain (low-high) 1st 18 days and then what do you raise your up too last 3 days? ( I ran 45% for 18 days then 65% last 3 days0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by