day 21. No sound, no wiggling, no pipping.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Betsysbabyservices, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    today is the day of the science fair and we have decided it is too risky to bring the hovabator with eggs to school. way too much could go wrong.
    if anyone else has any different perspective on transporting an incubator on hatching day, I'd love to hear it. but so much could go wrong.

Should we be worried that the eggs are just sitting there?
    how much peeping would we be hearing?

did we kill them??? dammit, this is nervewracking! [​IMG]

should I hang out in the warm room with them?

2. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Best wishes with yours, we are at day 22 and alos no pipping, chirping or wiggling.

3. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    wahhhhh.... does that mean they are dead, or slow starters, do you know? good luck!!

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WEll for what it's worth, when Irene hit here last fall, DH had to take my eggs on a little car ride to his work where the electricity would keep the incubator warm. It was at lock down. A few hatched, some eggs due later didnot survive.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    You could try shining a bright flashlight into the incubator onto one of the eggs. It sometimes takes a while but it should start peeping at the light. (If it doesn't peep that doesn't mean it's dead. It worked on my first hatch, but not my second.)

If you are really worried you can candle one. As long as the room is warm enough and you do it quickly, it won't make a difference.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Just wait for a few more days. On my first hatch, I had four eggs in the incubator. Only one hatched, and it hatched on day 30 (these were duck eggs). So wait a little longer. if they aren't hatched by day 24 or 25, then they are probably dead. Good luck :D

7. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    WE HAVE PEEPING!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    WOOHOO!!! [​IMG] I'm so excited for you! I know you must be so relieved!

Keep me posted. I expect picture updates regularly. =P
    They should be pipping any time now. Keep you eyes peeled. Those pips can be illusive.
    Is this your first hatch?

9. Betsysbabyservices

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    first incubator hatch. no pipping, just peeping. I'm gonna run upstairs right now and check, the girls have been checking obsessively. it's only sporadic, quiet little peeps...

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It won't be long if your hatch goes anything like my 2 have. I love when they start peeping. :) You could have pips at any point. They usually start pipping fairly immediately after they start peeing. Are they rocking at all yet? I could never see mine rock, only hear it every now and then. They are sneaky. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by