Day 21 - nothing going on!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickies, Apr 14, 2009.

1. newchickies

newchickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi, I'm new to the world of chickens! I'm incubating a dozen eggs in a homemade incubator and have done everything right in terms of turning, temp. and humidity....but after nothing happening with the eggs for the past couple of days, I got on here and discovered that I wasn't supposed to be turning them for the past couple of days! That was something I didn't know until now...so could I have messed them up somehow? Do you think they will still hatch, maybe just a little late?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You always stop turning on the evenings of day 18 so they can get into position to pip and hatch. I've read of people forgetting to turn their automatic turners off and chicks still hatch. Give them acouple more days and have patience. Your temps and humidity might not have been right on target so if those were low the hatch may also just be late.

3. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Tuffoldhen give them more time. My last hatch lasted 4 days and I hatched two chicks on day 23 into day 24. Keep us posted on any progress.

4. newchickies

Apr 14, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks for the advice! I will wait a couple of days and let you know what happens.. I'm hoping for some peeping by tomorrow night!!

5. newchickies

Apr 14, 2009
    Idaho
    Good news! We've been hearing peeps from one of our eggs (I think just one..maybe they're different eggs at different times?) since 7 am this morning! We're so excited...I'll post pictures when things start progressing a little more [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by