Day 21 of Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minihorsemama, May 6, 2017.

1. minihorsemama

minihorsemama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2017
    I'm new to this world of incubation. This is my first time. I've done everything in preparation for incubating chicken eggs. OK, it's day 21. Nothing, no external pipping & I don't know if there's been internal pipping.Moments before lock down, I candled the eggs & they were very much alive. Air sack seemed to be correct in size & angle. The only problem I can see is, the eggs are in an LG & I'm getting frustrated with the, in my opinion, temperature & humidity readings. I have a thermometer & humidity gauge in the incubator because the digital read out of the LG is way different than the reading of the thermometer & humidity gauge. I didn't find this out until a few days before lock down. I wonder if the chicks are still alive at this point. I'd appreciate all help with this. Thanks! In advance.

2. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    You can still candle them to make sure, and to see if they've pipped internally yet.
    If your temperatures have been on the low side, the chicks will probably be a bit late in hatching.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One, don’t give up hope. Chicks don’t always hatch right on schedule. For many different reasons they can be early or late by a couple of days and you still get good hatches.

A basic question, are you counting the days correctly? This is a real common problem and it usually does not cause a bad hatch. An egg does not have a day’s worth of development when you put it in the incubator, it takes 24 hours for it to have a day’s worth of development. So when you start counting you say “one” 24 hours after the egg goes in. An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week the egg goes in is the day of the week the 21 days are up. If you set them Saturday, that would be a Saturday. I won’t go into details of why, but even if you locked down a full day early that should not be a problem, hatching just isn’t that precise.

Did you calibrate your current thermometer? One major cause of early or late hatches is the average incubating temperature. If the average temperature is a bit warm, they can be early. If it’s cool they can be late. As you have noticed thermometers don’t always read correctly. I don’t trust any thermometer until it has been calibrated.

It sounds like the incubating temperature was probably low. You can’t do anything about it at this stage except be patient. Yeah, I know, easy for me to say. I would not do anything unless I didn’t see any activity after day 23. After that I’d start to worry and maybe do the float test. But if they were active when you went into lockdown, your odds are pretty good.

The float test is a last minute desperation check just before you toss the eggs. If you put the eggs in a basin of still water they should float. If there is a live chick in the egg it will wiggle on its own, put it back in the incubator. If it doesn’t move on its own the egg will not hatch. If it sinks at that stage the egg will not hatch.

Good luck.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The digital LGs are known for being off two degrees or more, (showing high) so if you didn't catch that until lockdown, then what will hatch will most likely be late. The hygrometers on the bators are known for reading 40-50% dry regardless of the actual true readings. Give it a couple extra days. There's still a possibility you'll get hatchers if your humidity was good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by