Day #21 of Under-Broody-Hen-Incubation.......Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VolailleAmant, Apr 17, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Good Morning, so, excitedly, today is day #21 of incubation under my silkie hen. She is setting on 6 eggs, 4 are Isa Brown and Silkie (not 100% sure that they are fertile, but if they are, goofy looking chicks! [​IMG] ) mixes. I know that I am going to have to be patient, but I am curious to know if chicks usually hatch right on day 21, or after a couple of days? If they are to hatch right on day 21, will it be later into the day? I am sorry if these are unanswerable questions, but I was just curious. If you have information, I welcome it!
    Thanks,
    -VA

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they were all placed under the hen the same day, they should hatch on day 21. If they were set on a Monday, they should hatch today. The larger eggs may take a bit longer to hatch. They could hatch morning, noon or night. It depends on the embryo and when it feels ready to come out.
    The hen will continue to sit if there are still unhatched eggs she can feel movement in but usually will abandon those after a couple days to care for the live chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by