Day 21 - Ohmy!!

AdamNV

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Alright, New here and been reading tons of posts, I am so happy I found a forum for chickens!

Me and my girlfriend got some eggs from folks that we know, they gave us 2 at first and more after we put a video of candling on facebook hehe. Anyways, DAY 21!!! So happy and chirping all day and yesterday, I'm a first timer and waiting very excited since I just phoned home and got to know that one egg has pipped finally!
ep.gif
... Although I have a tad problem - I haven't got a brooder box setup yet - but I know I can setup one very quickly cause I have all the materials for it ready as we speak.

Question is, how long should the chick stay in the incubator after it hatches before taking it to the brooder box? I read 4 hours, somewhere else I read 8 hours o_o!

- I'll post some pictures as soon as I get home and they start hatching (2 eggs, and 2 eggs that are a bit younger - me and my girlfriend we got 6 eggs,
- 2 (19th Jan) were empty
- and 2 (23th Jan) are at day 21 very alive hopefully (chirping atleast).
- last 2 of them are from 30th Jan

Is it okay to mix up eggs from different age? o,o

Hatching different age eggs at the same time isn't a good idea. Eggs need higher humidity while hatching but that higher humidity can cause issues for younger eggs. Lack of humidity can shrink wrap the hatching chicks. You also stop turning eggs at day 18 so if you are turning by hand you are ok but otherwise that's another potential problem. And you are not suppost to open the incubator while hatching to avoid shrink wrapping the chicks. Not sure what your setup is like but that is probably your biggest issue.

Oh... guess my first two chicks that are coming will might be a problem then, we've opened the incubator to turn the other eggs =[ We'll see how it goes I hope they will be okay!

One chick has hatched already!

But I'm very scared something is wrong O_O The yolk sac exploded recently and I'm wondering if it's okay, I'll attach a picture to show you how it looks at the moment! Is there something I can do????

Last edited:
One chick has hatched already!

But I'm very scared something is wrong O_O The yolk sac exploded recently and I'm wondering if it's okay, I'll attach a picture to show you how it looks at the moment! Is there something I can do????

after blowing up these pics, this chick has an infection and a bad one..... I am surprised it hatched please look at this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis
First you need to control the bleeding, use dry paper towl blot and pat corn starch on it to stop the bleeding, it could bleed to death.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom