Day 21,One chick hatched and both broodies regected it? help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mandalina, May 26, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Ok, I have one little turken that hatched out late this evening.Just went out and found her still a little wet and my broody she is caged with facing her back to her.My other broody that sat on the eggs for 19days before abandoning the nest broke into the caged off area when she heard chick cheeping, but also will not let chick under her.She did however preen the little chick and then knocked it over like "ok, you are good now go away"
    I tried to stick it under broody who still has other 4 eggs and she moved all the eggs to get away from the chick.

I have the lone little baby in the indoor brooder with a stuffed animal warming up under the lamp.Is it going to be ok without a companion for a day or two?

Is it normal for two hens to reject a chick like this? Could it be bc the baby is a turken with a very bald neck and they are both cochin banty's?

Ugh,I hate feeling uncertain.I think as the other eggs hatch i will just bring the chicks in and do the indoor thing again.I think one of the BO eggs had a small pip in it but it appeared to be on the wrong end and the hen wouldnt let me get a good hold of it to get a closer look.

Pic is crappy but the baby is oooooh sooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    And I am annoyin enough to bump my own post LOL....be warned.

3. k7ailaan

k7ailaan Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    its gonna be ok .. I had the same case .. and after a day or two inside it was able to go around and look for food and water .. i took it back out and it was fine

hope all goes fine with you

4. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    I wish I had a answer for ya but just wanted to say...............AWWWWW so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by