Day 21- Peepless, pipless, anxious.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cassbickford, Apr 6, 2016.

1. cassbickford

cassbickford Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    So, 7:30 EST this am makes 21 days that eggs have been in the incubator. I locked down on Sunday (18 days) and they were alive. I still do not have a peep or a pip. If no one has pipped, is it safe to open and candle the eggs? I lost power for a few hours on Sunday after lock down and I am hoping that did not affect them. I am biting my nails here!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Eggs don't hatch exactly on time, every time, even in perfect incubating conditions. Sometimes they'll hatch a bit early, sometimes a day late. I've seen this happen under broody hens as well. At that late stage in incubation, a power failure won't have much of an effect, so stop worrying! Sit on your hands, go for a walk, go bake some cookies, chat here with us on BYC, stop staring at the incubator, they'll come when they're ready [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. cassbickford

May 20, 2013
    Trust me, I've been trying to distract myself. [​IMG] First time incubating and I've had chickens forever. I feel like a paranoid first-time mum all over again!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've been incubating for years and I STILL fret when hatch day comes [​IMG] It's exiting stuff, isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  5. Buffilda

Buffilda New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Sumi is right, I wouldn't worry too much, even though it might hatch at a later time, there is still a good chance they are still alive. I would try to hold off on candling thought until day 24. If it helps to calm your nerves a little, I have a chicken egg on day 27 today, due to power outage on day 16 for an hour, I candled it on day 24, because i didn't see any movement or pips, and it was still alive, then again on day 26, and it was still growing and filling up the last bits of space in the egg. So I hope you have the best of luck on your hatch.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. cassbickford

May 20, 2013
    OMgosh, yes! I have an egg rocking too!! So excited.

7. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    You should have pips very soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by