Day 21...pip but no hole? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepswiththepoof, Jun 19, 2010.

1. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    It's Day 21 - FINALLY! And it's my first time...so I have no idea what's going on! When I woke up this morning, I noticed a little circular crack in one of the eggs, but no hole...I could hear peeping inside. Is this how it goes? Or is the chick not going to make a little hole? Ahh, please let me know!? Thanks!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yup, he's tunneling through, I noticed they get tired very quick, so it does take some time. He'll stop for awhile and you will want to reach in and give him a hand, but don't!! He's in no rush! (Or she)

3. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Oh so good to hear....I keep looking through the glass about every 3 minutes! Hehe, it's the most exciting thing ever!

4. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Oh yes it truly is. This is my third time hatching, and I keep being drawn to the bator~

5. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Red&Yellow :

Oh yes it truly is. This is my third time hatching, and I keep being drawn to the bator~

I'm just hoping to catch the chicks in the act! Have you had the joy of doing so?​

6. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Ive done alot of hatchings this spring/summer thus far. And each time is just as egggsiting!!!
    I have gotten pics of them hatching! Its awesome.
    But its just as awesome to get up to 2 or 3 new chickys in the bator!!!
    Good luck!

7. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Ditto!!!!!!!!!!

8. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    YAY! The pipped one zipped....and HATCHED! A little black Silkie!

Another question though - I had two eggs in lockdown, and the first one hatched but the second hasn't even pipped, is this normal? Or is it not going to make it? I would hate to have a loner chick!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz on your chick!

10. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I would wait as long as possible before opening the inicubator to see if it hatches - sometimes they are late sleepers and wait until you are cleaning out the incubator - had that happen last week. The hatched chick can stay in the incubator for 36 hours.
    I know it's very hard to have patience and just wait..........................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by