Day 21 - Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Meikakiri, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Meikakiri

Meikakiri Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    I'm on day 21 of my incubation period, i've raised humidity since day 18, to between 65%-75%, the temperature has remained constant, but there has been no movement from the egg, no pips, and no sound, the egg was candled on it's last day before lock-down and the chick was very much moving inside.

But the egg is not wobbling, no sounds or anything, is it too early to worry as it's only the first day of the hatch period?

2. MissB629

MissB629 Out Of The Brooder

All you can do at this point is wait and see. I am approaching day 20 in a few more hours. This is my first time with 26 eggs in a still air incubator. My eggs have been "twerking" since day 16. I candled them on day 18 and all had good movement inside. I've not seen any pips nor have I heard any chirpping yet. Good luck on your hatch!

3. greenhorn

greenhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    Have you candled the egg recently?

4. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    I don't dare candle the egg at this stage, I worry that any drops in temperature could result in shrink wrapping the bird.

5. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    It pipped at 3am this morning after giving no signs, hopefully this will teach me some patience.

6. MissB629

Congrats on the pip!!!! Keep us posted.

7. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    A lone blonde chick [all other eggs were infertile] was born this morning at 9am, has fluffed up well, and is begging for attention. Am a bit unsure as to how i'm going to stop it being lonely at this moment as I do not keep hens myself I just hatch them and keep them till maturity when they move on to homes.

8. MissB629

Congratulations on your new baby!!

9. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    Thank you very much, but he is panicked when I leave now as he's alone, and chirps as loud as he can when he can't see me, and is taking no notice of his water. I've put in a stuffed toy but he ignores it.

10. JohanSureHatch

JohanSureHatch New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Awesome! Great news! Patience is key is seems. hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by