Day 21 - Six Baby Chicks and ***PICS*** Page 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CountryMom, Jul 14, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, I am not new to waiting on babies that is for sure. But this waiting on chicks to hatch is nerve racking! I have waited on mares, calves, dogs, cats, and guinea pigs. Waiting for these eggs is a whole new world. LOL I have tried to candle, but then I couldn't tell much. Being new to this is not easy either. I feel dumb not knowing what to expect. So far we are holding temps and humidty just perfect. How soon can I tell if these eggs are going to be good or duds?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If the temps and humidity have been right on you should start seeing pips anytime on day 20, then they will hatch out on day 21....Patience....no opening the incubator...

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Just wait, wait and more wait!! I'm on day 20 with 36 Ameraucana, Frizzle and NN eggs. Got 5 fuzzy butts today- and 1 pip ( that I think isn't doing anything by the looks of what's seeping out of it.. [​IMG] Time, and patience and leave them alone !!!!

4. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I am being so good keeping out of that bator, but darn it all it is tempting! LOL So far I "think" I saw one rocking back and forth. Is that normal. I thought maybe I bumped the table that they are on, but then I saw it again. Then went and had my daughter look and she said the same thing - rocking. I guess time will tell. My daughter is so hoping this will work so she can get more silkies via eggs. LOL

5. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Yup, they rock and roll like crazy!! It's incredible what you "think" you see-- but the rocking is happening!

6. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, we have three that are cracked this morning. I believe you call that a pip. Several are moving and my daughter swears she heard a chirp. Not sure, but that is what she says. I am surprised and excited now. Thought for sure I wouldn't get anything after all the bum reads on ebay purchases! I have to run to the Doc with two sick kiddos, but will be back for updates. Keeping my fingers crossed now they really are opringtons! LOL [​IMG]

7. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG] think positive [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh good luck!! Hopefully, by the time you're back from the doctor, you'll have a fuzzy butt!! But, if not, don't worry-- it can take 24 hours!

9. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, we have 4 out of 10 pipped now. One has his beak out and others not pipped are rocking like crazy! And yes, I heard the chirping sound too. Oh boy hubby is going to be surprised since he didn't know about these! LOLOL

10. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    We have a zip! Boy oh Boy is this one a talker too!
    [​IMG]

Kids are so excited. Keeping fingers crossed this is going to end well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by