Day 21 tomorrow and still no "pips" today?

Flutterbee

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Virginia
So my hen, Edna, is sitting on a clutch of nineteen eggs (I didn't realize she was on so many until she was off eating for about three minutes today). While she was being grumpy, I went and checked on the eggs. No one has any pips in them yet and now I'm starting to worry. Could they all have been dead? Several were alive a few days ago when I candled. When does pipping occur? Could the fact that she has so many eggs mean the their development has been delayed and I could be looking at a later hatch?

Last edited:
Yes, it's normal. 21 days it a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Relax, step away from the broody, and let her do her job. It's really best not to fuss with them - especially around hatching time. They prefer to be left alone.

I was observing her nest while she was off and it just made me worried when no one seemed to have any pips. Thank you so much for the information, it's been years since I've had chicks hatch and I don't remember much of what happened when it did.

(This is hobomom's daughter, I have her permission to post from her account.)

I second bobbi-j, chicks don't always hatch exactly at twenty-one days - sometimes it can take more, sometimes less. I would give them another three or four days to hatch.
And while I'm on the topic, I would like to mention that you shouldn't handle eggs 72 hours prior to hatching. At this point the chicks are moving into position for hatching and handling the eggs can hurt them.

I was observing her nest while she was off and it just made me worried when no one seemed to have any pips. Thank you so much for the information, it's been years since I've had chicks hatch and I don't remember much of what happened when it did.
Mine have all been bantam eggs and they always seem to pip before day 21. My last hatch (which was 2 days ago)one pipped on day 19 and was hatched by day 20. The other egg piped on day 20 and hatched on day 21.
I do believe that bantie eggs hatch a little sooner than standard sizes chickens. Something will happen real soon I bet.
fl.gif

marie

Mine have all been bantam eggs and they always seem to pip before day 21. My last hatch (which was 2 days ago)one pipped on day 19 and was hatched by day 20. The other egg piped on day 20 and hatched on day 21.
I do believe that bantie eggs hatch a little sooner than standard sizes chickens. Something will happen real soon I bet.
fl.gif

marie
Yeah I always had bantams hatch or part bantams, this is my first "normal size" chicken hatching. I think the fact that she's sitting on so many eggs might have a big impact on it as well.

I am currently incubating/hatching 31 eggs. Aug 17 was day 21 and twenty of the eggs hatched through out the day. I have eleven now left and no sound or movement on day 23. How long should I wait till I give up on them?

Back
Top Bottom