Day 21 Under a Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Booswalia, May 8, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs, eggs are under her, not me.
    Nothing yet but when I candled one of the eggs this morning I could just barely see a little movement.
    Will she defend them from the other hens. I opened her pen this morning and one of the other hens tried to peck at her. She didn't defend herself and more than usual.

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    You definatly need to seperate her and her babies after they all hatch [​IMG]
    If you don't want to deal with re-introducing her, just block off one corner of the coop with wire for them.

It's see through, so no re-introducing. You shouldn't be messing with the eggs, especially durring lockdown. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. Booswalia

Right now the broody is in a dog house inside the pen area. I built a door for the dog house and put a wired window in the door. They still see each other every day.

4. Booswalia

Most of the the shell on one of the eggs is now broken off but the membrane is still in tack. Is this normal?
    How long does it take for the chick to break out?
    Oooh, this is exciting.

5. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Looking under a broody hen is like looking in a incubator. They will get stuck if the moisture leaves.

6. Booswalia

I'm just looking through the door. I can see one egg sticking out from under her and it's missing most of it's shell. The hen pecked at in a tiny bit, just the once.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Oh [​IMG] Well they should be fine. I have had one hen that didnt sit on all the eggs while hatching but I think she had to many eggs. It did shrink wrap I had to help it.

8. Booswalia

Shrink wrap? Am I missing something?

9. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Its where the membrane is stuck to the chick and it cant move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by