Day 21 Under Broody and Nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksgalore, May 7, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    This is my silkie's first time setting. I started her out with 6 eggs but she pulled 3 more in with her a day later. One egg got broken so then I put wire over the doorway of her nest so no others could get in. Another egg broke (or exploded) last week so she's down to 7. Except for the later ones she pulled in a day later, this evening will officially end the 21st day and there is nothing happening.

I pulled her off to look at the eggs just a bit ago and the eggs are FILTHY! She has been pooping right on top of them! Is this normal--arent' they supposed to walk away from the eggs to do this?

Is it normal to have a broody hen and no chicks hatching? I thought doing it the natural way was a pretty sure way...

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Someone who knows more will be shure to get back to you soon

3. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    Can anyone help?

If the eggs don't hatch, I'll feel so bad for poor Sadie--she's been so faithful for 3 weeks! What's the best thing to do at this point--force her out into the real world again? If I could get my hands on some day-olds in the next day or two, I'd stick them under her at night.

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If the eggs are really dirty, they very well may not hatch. How old is your hen? Very young ones seem to have more problems than older ones. Also how often were you letting her out of her nest, and did you make sure she stayed out long enough to relieve herself? Was she let out at the same time each day? Sometimes they are so protective of the eggs that even if you set them out they will dart back on the nest, without taking care of business, then if the door is closed up, business will be taken care of on the nest. Don't worry too much about your hen if you can't find any chicks, she will forget all about it in a few days of being penned away from a nest.

Jim

5. SoCal-chick

SoCal-chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm sorry! I can empathize, I am on day 22 with 8 eggs under my broody hen and as far as I can tell nothing! I'm giving it another day or two then I will put out a frantic call for baby chicks. My hen,Iris, sat 3 weeks before I put eggs under her and I think she deserves to raise some babies. I'm not an expert, but maybe you can give your hen more time, as long as the eggs don't smell bad.

6. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I had the same thing happen with my first broody hatch last year. There was no action at all until the end of day 22 and some took until the end of day 23 to show any action. The problem with my hen was that after she got a few babies she abandoned her remaining eggs (her first time hatching), so I had to help a few out myself. Luckily everyone lived.

7. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I just got through a silkie who sat for two weeks on one of her own eggs that we swapped out for four other eggs. On day 21 I was concerned, on 22 worried, on 23 convinced it was a no go, but late on day 24 we went to take the eggs from her and they pipped, so we brought them in the house and one hatched day 24 and another day 25. The one on day 26 never made it out and the fourth egg was a dudd. Many people on here told us not to give up, and they were right. we have two cute chicks to prove it. Good luck

8. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    Sadie is an 8 month old silkie. When I had the nest open she would go out for a little bit in the evening it seemed. After that, I didn't let her out but her "nest" is basically in a room and she's just in one corner of it. I thought she would go somewhere else in her room to relieve herself but apparently not.

On a good note, I was just looking at a calendar and realized that Day 21 actually began this evening, so...[​IMG]

And going by some of the rest of you, I will let her on there longer than what it seems like it should be. Thanks for the encouragment!

9. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Nothing to gain by giving up early, and as folks have pointed out sometimes patience pays off. Your hen will probably do better in the future.

Jim

10. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    Guess what!!!! There are 4 tiny ADORABLE little black babies under her this morning!![​IMG]

I am SOO excited! Last evening began the 23rd day so it pays not to lose hope!! What a Mother's Day gift![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by