Day 21 - Waiting... Waiting...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mmmaddie13, May 11, 2011.

1. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Today is day 21 and so far I haven't heard peeping. I'm getting anxious. This is my first Brinsea hatch, 8 fertile eggs are sitting in there doing nothing but driving me insane. [​IMG]
    What to do, what to do... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Go for a walk. Go play with the big girls... Read a book in a room where you can't here chirps when they start.. Make a time to go see the eggs in like 4 hours..

3. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Similar boat here - I've got ten pips from 12 eggs. I noticed the first pip nearly 16hrs ago and it's not changed [​IMG] Getting pretty worried now tbh [​IMG] Everyone keeps saying that up to 24hrs is normal but I totally get what you mean about being driven to insanity!!!

4. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    It's been 4 hours. Still nothing. [​IMG]

5. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I spend WAYYY to much time on this site... I was like, "Really? I said that four hours ago..." Wow.

Anyway, just wait... What incubator and what temp?

6. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hahaha yep. Crazy, huh? [​IMG]

Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX, 99.6, 45% the first 18 days, 75% for lockdown.

7. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Nice incubator... We doing ducks here? Because if not, that humidity is too high..

8. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Chickens. But I'm in Colorado, high altitude, dry dry dry. I'll move humidity down a little and see how that works.

9. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I wouldn't worry about it at this point... I hope all goes well though.. I don't really know about altitude alterations... Are they drastically different?[​IMG]

10. Mmmaddie13

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've heard that some people from Colorado have it up as high as 80% during hatching, and I've also heard that it can't be too high unless it's within the developing stages, but I could be wrong. I guess we'll see.
    My last hatch (in a HovaBator still air) had some MAJOR temp and humidity fluctuations and I still got 10 happy babies - they all hatched within 24 hours, starting halfway through day 20. My humidity for that hatch was close to 50% for the first 18 days, then 70something from 18 to hatch, going all the way up to 80 at one point during the hatch.

I really hope I didn't screw this up. These eggs are expensive. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by