Day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Renee97038, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    I thought my incubation was on day 21 but looking back at my beginning date I realize day 21 isn't until tomorrow. So, I accidentally started lockdown on day 17 and raised humidity that day to 65%. Is starting lockdown and no turning on day 17 going to mess up my hatch?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No it should not mess up your hatch. Eggs only really need to be turned untill day 14. After that time the chick should have formed all its parts by then. Turning helps them to develop their parts in the right place and keeps the nutrients moving through the egg. I'm sure your eggs will be fine if the air cell was looking when you locked down.

Good luck, hope you have a great hatch :fl

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. Yours is a very common mistake which seldom has any real effect on the eggs hatching. By that time the eggs don’t need turning and there is such a wide range of moisture loss that works that you should not have a problem. Good luck with your hatch.

I’ll mention that the 21 day thing is only a guideline. It’s not that unusual for eggs to be a day or even two days early or late. There are a lot of different reasons for that. Heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in the eggs. A big influence is average incubating temperature, if it’s a tad high they can be early, cool and they can be late. So don’t get too impatient if you don’t see something happening at 21 days. Yeah, easier said than done. I don’t like it when they ae slow either.

The eggs possibly being early is a why lockdown is scheduled when it is. There are enough that hatch two full days early that we go into lockdown three days before the 21 days guideline to be sure we are early enough. They are usually early because the incubator is running a bit warm, but I’ve had eggs under a broody hen be two full days early. You don’t have to be that precise with lockdown, you just need to get the humidity up before the eggs start pipping.

4. Renee97038

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    Thanks so much! I will now relax and wait. They were all alive at lockdown so I hope for a good hatch. Will let everyone know how it goes.

5. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Just relax! I know its like a little kid on christmas!

6. Renee97038

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    8 have hatched on day 21. Now I'm waiting on the olive eggers to hatch. They are really dark Marans eggs. And the last to pip.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds good! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by