Day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kari01, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Kari01

Kari01 In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    My daughter got a mini 7 egg incubator for Christmas. Reluctantly (as it is winter in WI), we let her try to hatch some eggs. We put 4 eggs in there on Jan 1st. Well, low and behold.... yesterday 1 hatched!!! We quickly removed it to a brooder and it doing well. Yesterday, 1 egg was rocking quite a bit and another one showed a little movement. We did try to candle them in the early stages but had a difficult time with the brown shell. Today, there is no movement at all. Looking for opinions! Is it possible the other 2 internally pipped and died? Do I wait it out? I know it can take a day or so longer for some but the fact that they were moving and now are not is suspicious. The fourth one shows never showed signs of life but the other 2 were moving!

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  2. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    You’re not supposed to open the incubator during lockdown (day 18-21) you would of had to open the incubator to take out the chick which could cause the membrane inside the other eggs to dry out which makes it nearly impossible for the chick inside to get through. ... This is the reason we are advised not to open the incubator during those three days before hatching.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Notaneggspurt, alexa009 and Kari01 like this.
  3. Kari01

Kari01 In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    They were candled at day 7. Not during lockdown. Not sure if you’ve seen the mini incubators but they are MINI! The little chick that hatched yesterday was getting his feet stuck in the holes thus the reason he was removed. However, upon further assessment, one has a crack in the back and #4 that we thought was a dud is rocking (after ZERO activity all day).

Attached Files:

Rose Quartz and Brahmachicken240 like this.
  4. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Sounds good
    Hopefully they hatch out fine :fl
    :)

Kari01 likes this.
  5. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Crossing the Road

Your humidity looks really high. after these are hatched before you set any again, get a small hygrometer to test what the humidity is at. and write down how much you need to be around 60% - 70%. It looks like from the condensation you're sitting around 80%- 90% which could make hatching more difficult for the chicks. Don't mess with it this time around though.

Kari01 likes this.
  6. fire370

fire370 Songster

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    Yep give it time. And it looks like you have plenty of humidity.

Good luck! That should be a happy little girl.

Rose Quartz and aart like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This made me chuckle..with you, not at you.
    RutRoh...now you're in for it!!

alexa009 and Kari01 like this.
  8. Kari01

Kari01 In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    I guess I prematurely was getting nervous :rolleyes: We have a larger incubator with more settings but this itty bitty one literally has a little canal that needs to have water “kept in it at all times”. Not sure how i would adjust the humidity in this cheesy thing. :lau I honestly didn’t think ANY of them would hatch so I let my daughter give it a whirl and here we are.... hatching chicks in January. I’ll keep you updated!!!

aart and Rose Quartz like this.
  9. fire370

fire370 Songster

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    I’ve got 6-700 quail and chickens hatching over the next week. I can send you some more....

aliciaplus3 and Rose Quartz like this.
  10. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    They’re probably just taking a break, if you open the incubator just make it quick, none of my babies shrink wrapped (except 1 it was his fault he piped at the small end and then turned around and piped at the other end and just way to much air in there he’s good though) they should hatch in time though! What breeds are they?

Rose Quartz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: