day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oldorchardfarms, Oct 27, 2011.

1. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    We have 9 eggs on day 21 this is our first time hatching and we have a few questions, should we hear them in the egg shell peeping loudly before they hatch? how long does it take for them to hatch once they crack the shell. We think we may have twins in one do they need help or do we leave them alone? any and all advice would be nice because i am excited,nervouse and want to make sure i do this right

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]. If you hear peeping it means the chick has internally pipped and it shouldn't be long before it externally pips. Most of the time twins do not make it but there are exceptions.

Here is a good video.

This is BYC member needmorechickens helping twins hatch.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. oldorchardfarms

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    just found our first pip there is blood around the membrane hole what do i do????????[​IMG] hope the chick is ok

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    If you see blood just leave the incubator closed and let the chick do it's thing. After it pips it may take up to 48 hours or even longer for it to hatch.

5. oldorchardfarms

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    The chick is not peeping or moving any more has not made a single movement since the last post i think it may be gone [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. oldorchardfarms

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    [​IMG] sad news, i decided i was going to crack the babys egg a little to see if i got any movement or peeps from her/him and nothing so i pullit apart slowley and the chick has not made it [​IMG] so disappontied now, but we found something strang upon pulling chick apart and we have no clue what it is maybe its insides, but it is yellow and my husband moved it and it all came out in one big sac. so now we are down to 8, sitting up all night now to watch my babys [​IMG] wish me luck and i will keep you all updated as the night moves on.

7. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    That was the yolk sack. They shouldn't hatch until they absorb that. That is their first food, and the last thing they do before they are ready to hatch. If anymore pip you should just wait it out for 48 hours at least. Don't be scared if you don't see movement. Hatching is hard work, some chicks will rest often for long periods. Some chicks will just pip and pop right out. Try not to interfere unless you truly believe that not "helping" will kill the chick.

8. oldorchardfarms

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    second egg pip and it is making noise [​IMG] i was getting worried

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I usually wait 24 hrs then I check to make sure the chicks isn't stuck. I didn't check on a couple and they died. Now I check and if there ok I put moisten the membrane and mist the egg with warm water and put it back into the hatcher and do it as quickly as I can. So far so good.

10. oldorchardfarms

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    Quote:I agree. I usually wait 24 hrs then I check to make sure the chicks isn't stuck. I didn't check on a couple and they died. Now I check and if there ok I put moisten the membrane and mist the egg with warm water and put it back into the hatcher and do it as quickly as I can. So far so good.

Thank you, i just moisten the egg and my humity was down to 51 so i put a warm wet cloth in there and pluged a hole so now it is up to 75-77% and the chick is making lots of noise, i have been checking it every 5 mins lol cant wait!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by