day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angie 2345, Sep 27, 2012.

1. angie 2345

angie 2345 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    its day 21 2 eggs hatched yesterday 1 more last night still have 2 hens sitting on eggs the 3 chicks have hatched under the 1 hen still have 2 more under her and 4 under the other hen have put water and chick crumb in the coop will the other eggs hatch how long do i leave the eggs its my first time at this had to get eggs as both hans went broody and i could break them out of it am going away on friday night till sunday morring will they be ok do i leave the coop door open or leave it shut it very cold hear in the uk any advice would be greatfull

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Make sure the broodies have food and water and leave them to it. They'll know when to give up. Sometimes chicks hatch a bit late, even under broodies. I think closing the coop would be a good idea while you're away. The hens will keep the chicks warm, but some predators like moving around at night...

3. angie 2345

angie 2345 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    thanks i will shut the coop then all saw have big cage over the coop whill door open in the day time so the other hen will be ok with the other hen chicks or will she pick on them

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That I can't tell you. Some hens are cool with other hen's chicks, some kill them. I separate moms and chicks for the first few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by