day 22/23 question- Update- Breech baby?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have chick eggs that were set at 6:30 pm on 6/7. I candled them for signs of life tonight and one of them looks like it is trying to get through the membrane between him and the air cell but it just keeps stretching with his beak. Is this normal?
    I just cracked open a bunch of "bad" ones and it seemed like some of the membranes were on the tough side. These were eggs though that either didn't develop at all or quit around day 12/13.

I have 6 eggs left. 3 with definate movement and 3 that had great movement at day 18 but now I just can't tell.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't think you should have opened the bator to check. Your humidity would go down. That is your humidity at?

Sorry I can't be much help.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your temps have been low they can be a day or two late. Keep the bator closed and wait. We will hold your hand.

If they don't pip it means they are too weak to live. Sad but true.

Let mother nature do her thing.

[​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok so three of them have pipped. Two of them were pipped when I checked at 4:40 am and then the third one started in later.
    My question is one of them has pipped through next to the small end of the egg - since the eggs are in cartons- will he be able to get out?

Is this kind of like a breech baby?

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Humidity is at 67%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by