Day 22, 2nd one is hatching right now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oldredhen, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Oldredhen

Oldredhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    I was beginning to think I was only going to get one hatch from this 8, but saw a pip tonight and now it's almost zipped thru and see it's little beak poking thru vigorously, so anxiously awaiting chick #2. [​IMG] yay
    [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

They sure do have their own time line, don't they? [​IMG]

I think they like us to wait, on pins and needles! LOL

Good luck, and I hope you have more pips tonight! [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Congrats! I'm up late awaiting new arrivals too [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Glad you didn't give up on them!! Must have had slightly low temps.

5. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    It's always fun waiting, this is more comfy to sit on my computer with my light on my bator, all I have to do is peek next to me, unlike when a mare foals or one of my sheep or goats, LOL (I have a mare in foal due in March, A mini donkey due in May and a goat ready any time, fun fun. ) LOL

6. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:Actually I think what happened was I set a row on one day, and set the others two days later due to a brain malfunction (mine!) so this may be one of the others, since I candled and got them all mixed up! I did have one explode in my hand last night, a rotten one, chick must have died early on, it was cracked and the bator stunk horrible, so picked it up to toss it and it actually exploded in my hand, PU did it stink!!

7. Oldredhen

Jan 20, 2010
    Quote:Awww, another night hatch! What are you waiting on? Mine are just "mutts" but sweethearts [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Actually I think what happened was I set a row on one day, and set the others two days later due to a brain malfunction (mine!) so this may be one of the others, since I candled and got them all mixed up! I did have one explode in my hand last night, a rotten one, chick must have died early on, it was cracked and the bator stunk horrible, so picked it up to toss it and it actually exploded in my hand, PU did it stink!!

Haven't had that happen since I was a kid. Hope it never happens in my adulthood.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I'm up late tonight hatching, too! YAY!

So far .... 8 Silkies and 2 mutts! A few more Silkies to go, and I can go to bed!

10. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Yay for new chickies! It's nerve-wracking when they wait till a day or two late before making their appearance.

We've been on pins and needles waiting for ours to hatch, and today (Monday) is day 21. We have two pips so far, one is zipping. We've got five silkies and five mutts, all from our own hens and roos. The mutts are from chickens we hatched ourselves, so really exciting to have a second generation now of our own! The silkies are ones we got as babies this last summer, and these are our first silkies we've ever hatched, so really excited. No pips on the silkies yet. I know they won't come out to play for many hours yet, but I don't want to go to bed, either! Too much fun sitting and watching them work on their eggs.

Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by