Day 22 and a wreck will they hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Semisweet, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Semisweet

Semisweet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Ok we are new at everything that has to do with chickens. Do to city limits we are only allowed 3 hens and no roosters. I have 2 eggs in a very very small incubator, we are on day 22 and have only seen very small movements from one egg and heard one chirp from the same egg yesterday but no pip we have not seen or heard anything since did it die? Also we just discovered we put part of the incubator in wrong and afraid that when and if the eggs hatch they will roll off onto the light! I would like to fix the problem but are afraid to open the incubator! What do I do?help

2. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    If they are in danger of injuring themselves after hatching, then I would definitely open the incubator to assemble it correctly if you can do it fairly quickly. Keep the eggs in a warm place while you are correcting it. (Make a heating pad out of a washcloth or something)

What day of the week did you set the eggs? If it was a Sunday, then they should hatch on a Sunday. Let us know how it goes, and good luck!!

3. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
  4. Semisweet

Feb 18, 2012
    ok thank you I think we started on a friday but from what I have heard is to count the next day as day 1 so sat. And today is sat! is it to late to try and fix the incubator?

5. Semisweet

Feb 18, 2012
    ok we fixed the problem. Is a dark spot on the tip of the egg that was moving a little normal?

6. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    That could just be pigment discoloration in the shell. What you will be looking for is little spot of white where the membrane is showing thru where the chick is pipping shell, hopefully in the fatter side of the egg.. Today is day 21 if you set the eggs late on a Friday. Don't worry just yet! And I'm glad you fixed the incubator.

7. Semisweet

Feb 18, 2012
    It is on the small end and have not seen any movement for 2 or 3 days should I give up

8. Semisweet

Feb 18, 2012
    Ok we just opened both eggs and sadly they didn't make it one looked like it gave up early on but the other was a cute fully formed chick just think he couldnt make it out of his shell, I guess that happens think I will leave the hatching to the experts and just get some healthy pullets to raise.

9. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    awwwww im so sry you could always get day old chicks and its almost the same but i feel bad for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by