Day 22 and no pips(UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RooptyDoo, Nov 6, 2008.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    So its day 22 and no pips [​IMG] . My temperature has been good its been running about 100-101. My humidity has been about 65-75. How long do you think I should wait before opening them to see if they are alive or not? They are silkies and I was really hoping they would hatch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Your hum was 65%-75% the whole time ??

3. please do not worry. You can candle them and see if there is moement or a beak in the air pocket. i have had a clutch hatch out at 25 days, no problems. You MUST make an air hole for any peeps that you see. Do not let these chick suffocate becuase the inner lining of the shell can not be punctured by these late hatchers.

4. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm so hopeful for you!!![​IMG]
    I would wait two more days at least from what i read! I've never hatched out chicks so i can't help except to hope!![​IMG]

5. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    My humidity was 30-40 the first 18 days then I raised it to 65-75 on the last few days. LOL I didnt realize I forgot to put what it was the first 18 days [​IMG]

6. New2chickensnky

New2chickensnky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    No worries yet, we had ours to start hatching on day 21 and it is now day 23 and they are still hatching. We had never had any to hatch past day 19 or at least start to hatch so this was a strange hatch for us too. Seems like there is a lot of people with these late hatchings right now. Good luck

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:LOL !! I was thinking OMG that would be a reason !!! Anyway, I would leave them a couple more days !! The hum doesn't need to be more than 65% 70% topns. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Ok so I candled last night and I saw movement in 2 of the silkie eggs I had in the incubator (day 22). I candled today and no movement at all. [​IMG] So we opened them up and they were dead. [​IMG] The first and second one looked like it had died on the 20th day. The third on day 17. I have one left in the incubator that is due on the 10th. I really hope that it will hatch. It is sad to see that they make it so far and just die. This is my second hatch and it was in a LG still air incubator. My first hatch was in a homade incubator and I got a 50% hatch. Which is not great but it was just an experiment. It had no thermostat just kept the temp right by sliding plexiglass back and forth over a square hole cut in the top of the lid. Anyway I just dont know why they died but I am really hoping my last one will hatch. Boy let me tell you if it does hatch it will be really spoiled being the only one in the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by