1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 22 and no pip's?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aplynn, Jan 22, 2016.

1. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    Ok so I am on Day 22 of my hatch they are a mixed bag of breeds from my layer flock. This is my second hatch and it is just a small one of 5 eggs. When I started this hatch I tried to use a smaller incubator I had never used before, it seemed to maintain the right temp for the first 24 hrs I had eggs in it, but then I could not get the temp to stay up. I moved the eggs from that incubator into my trusty ole one and all has been fine since they started wiggling a lot and development seemed fine as far as I could tell. I am now on day 22, i do not hear any peeping still and have not heard any, however, the eggs are rocking and rolling all over the place. I was wondering if maybe it could have been a late start to the hatch and that I am really only on day 20-21 of their development today? I have had a lot of people mention to me that my egg shells seem pretty solid, so I am also wondering if maybe the shells are too hard? I am only slightly worried at this point, but am looking to pick someone brain about the possible causes.

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I really have no idea, sorry.

3. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    My guess would be if the start in the first Bator you used was not consistently high enough then it probably delayed them a bit. The fact that they are rocking is promising. How long were they in the first Bator? I would give them a couple more days. Good luck!

4. aplynn

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    They were in the other one for Bot 3 days, I am gonna give them a little more time I am just not sure if I should turn them or just let them be and hope for the best.

5. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Don't turn them. They are getting into position to pip the air cells. You don't really even need to turn chicken eggs beyond day 14.

1 person likes this.
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I agree that your temp could have been a little low. Also have you got your humidity high now? At least 65% is best for lockdown and hatching. The higher humidity helps the chick pip and zip the shell.

Good luck with your hatch, I hope you have some action soon :fl

7. aplynn

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    I have had the humidity up to between 65-70 for the last 3 going on 4 days now I think they are just delayed because their still very active and I am starting to hear them. Still crossing fingers and hoping for the best

8. aplynn

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    And we have some pips yay

9. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Yay! I hope all are healthy. Let us know.

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by