day 22 and not much action! Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenJill, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    On day 21 I saw 2 of the eggs roll and a small hairline crack in one. Today is day 22 and no action! When do I intervene???

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Personally, I'd leave it just one more day, my eggs took 24 hours after starting, before they did anything else at all, some people have said theirs have been 36. If you are worried about them dying before hatching, make sure you have some warm steamy water to hand (to add to the incubator) open it up and hold the egg to your ear. If you can hear a faint clicking sound, the chick has internally pipped and is breathing, and should hatch soon. Be quick as you can then add a tiny bit of the warm water to the incubator to replace the humidity that has been let out from opening. Alternatively, you can candle to check they are still moving, but still add the warm water afterwards. [​IMG]

Hopefully someone with more experience will help you soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I heard a clicking sound in two of them about a day and a half ago.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Day 23 for me and nothing all 5 eggs had chicks at lock down. I'm pretty sure they are all dead.
    Michele

5. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Quote:a day and a half ago....that would be 19 days....did you lock down on day 18? Have you been opening the door? They might have shrink wrapped if you kept opening the door, you need a high constant humidity for the hatching.

6. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    The ones you heard clicking, then maybe open as they have already pipped the air sac, would have thought they'd be showing signs of hatch by now. Start at the big end, so you'll be opening into the air sac, and see if you can see anything maybe. Candle first though to check for movement. Good luck, fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

I had something similar with my last hatch, I heard clicking then 2 days later there was still nothing. A grey patch and a hairline crack appeared on the egg, so I opened it. Chick had put its beak through the inner membrane but not in the right place so it had no air to breathe and had died. Good luck with your eggs, hope they hatch for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by