Day 22 and nothing!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenF, Jun 20, 2016.

1. JenF

JenF Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    This is my first time incubating and I've relied on BYC for all my guidance, so I thank you for that!! We are on day 22 and nothing, no pips or anything. On day 18, I candled and found that my air sacs were a little small, so based on advice I found on this forum, I delayed lockdown by 1 day, removed all water and went dry for 1 night. On day 19 I candled a few eggs and found the air sacs much larger so increased humidity (to about 65%) and started lockdown. When I candled on day 18, I had at least 10 eggs that had moving chicks in them (started with 18 eggs total) and a few more eggs with chicks, but I couldn't see movement. Do I still have hope?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It sounds as if your eggs were slightly delayed in development. Hopefully they will still hatch. Did you calibrate your thermometer prior to the incubation?

3. JenF

JenF Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    I didn't calibrate it, I bought it brand new, a digital thermometer/hygrometer. I read that I should measure temperature on top of the eggs, so I sat it on an overturned bowl, however, I'm just realizing that it may have been a little to high up, it was actually about 1.5 inches above the eggs. I have a still air incubator (really old) and I was keeping the temp around 101.5.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Temperature at the egg surface may have been a bit low which will extend the incubation period. Hopefully your eggs are still viable just a bit late.

5. ite77

ite77 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Spanaway WA
    I have a very broody hen sitting on 14 eggs for 22 days now. She is from a flock of 4 hens & 1 rooster. I separated the rest of the flock from her in the very beginning. Although it's been 22 days, still no peeping or movement in the eggs. She still does leave the nest a couple times a day but always goes right back to sitting. How much longer should I wait before assuming my eggs won't hatch?

6. JenF

JenF Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Thanks sourland! Hopefully we're lucky enough to have chicks soon!

7. JenF

JenF Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    I have 2 chicks this morning!!! I'm so happy, but a little worried. One is bleeding, not a lot, but is leaving blood smears around the incubator. Should I do anything?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by