1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 22 and nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenboy1993, Apr 18, 2009.

1. chickenboy1993

chickenboy1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    its day 22 and nothing and i know my temp was 96 for awhile so should i wait or toss them?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Wait til day 25, I just had a chick hatch out on Easter Sunday that was a day 25 chickie. My temps in one of the bators was off big time.

3. chickenboy1993

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    ok i will do i just hope some hatch im tired of not having any hatch and ive had people give me advice and i follow it and they never hatch i just wish this one will be different if anyone has the time would they mined typing up what they do day by day and pm it do me or put it on here it dont matter

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try to hold on. I just had a set of eggs to hatch 4 days late. Yes, 4 days late! 18 of 18 developed. 4 stopped early. 10 of 14 hatched! w00t!!

5. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    WAIT!!
    This morning I brought all of my 21 eggs outside to toss - thinking that at day 23 they were all certainly dead. One had even tried to pip and died in the shell. So, I open the incubator - and .... I thought there was a birds' nest near by -- it was my incubator! I rushed inside and plugged it back in. Today I have 2 eggs with holes formed and active birds inside and one that is out as of an hour ago.
    Still a dismal hatch considering the amount of eggs - but I almost tossed 3 good ones. Wait.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had a day 26 egg hatch - and it was under a broody. She wouldn't budge off her nest for the one chick she had so I bought her a couple more chicks and when I went to switch out the eggs for the chicks, one of them was smashed and had a live baby in it. I think mama knew it was still in there and smashed the shell to try and get it out. So don't give up - a broody mama wouldn't!

7. chickenboy1993

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    i will wait but its so hard to wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by