Day 22 and only 5 of 12 have hatched??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theblackridge16, Jan 28, 2011.

1. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Ok its day 22 now and only 5 of 12 have hatched, and those hatched on day 20! Had one pip on the wrong end and it didn't make it so I'm down to six left. My question is since the other 5 hatched on day 20 and we are on 22 now will the others still hatch, there is no signs of movment or anything! This is ourfirst time hatching and I am a little nervous. Thanks in advance!!!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you have no other pips right now I would try candling the remaining eggs. If an egg starts peeping in your hand, I wouldn't bother candling that one [​IMG] My hatch was spaced out over a couple of days so it is possible that the other eggs are just "late for the party" Good luck!

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    If nothing by the end of the day, I would candle. If these were shipped eggs, then you can expect abour a 50% hatch rate.

4. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Ok so I just went to check on the bator nd there was cracks in three of the eggs and a brown liquid ozzing out of them? I took them out and they stunk pretty bad so I went a head and candled the other three and couldn't see and movement but they smelled a little funny, don't know if it's from them or the other eggs. What caused this and what should I do, Please help!!!

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:They were quiters, Either they never started to grow, or the chicks stopped growing at some point. Be careful, bad eggs tend to blow up and make a HUGE smelly mess [​IMG] If the other smell funny, they are probably bad too, you can keep them in, but be aware that if they are bad, they could blow!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  6. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Thank you so much for the advice! I have already pulled them out and cracked open the other three, they were bad to. I am a little upset that my first hatch didnt go as planned but we are very happy with the 3 BO's, 1RIR, and 1 BR that did hatch! We also ordered 11 pullet chicks from Ideal so that gives us 6 BO's, 6 BR's, 3 EE's, 1 RIR, and 3 egg under our broody from our flock ! Those along with our 5 PR hens, 5 SLW hens, 1 PR roo give us 27 and how ever many of the 3 eggs hatch monday!!! Thank ya'll for the help and God bless!

7. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    your lucky compared to me! i had 8 eggs in the bator, all started to hatch and died [​IMG]... (2 made it out of the eggs b4 they died [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by